November is a month filled with holidays (Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Election Day, Dia de los Muertos). There is a lot to teach and a lot of potentially fun thematic activities to use to pull these holidays into your November activities. I’d love to show you guys what I think is perfect to use in the primary classroom during the month of November. So, here’s my list of November activities for Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade!
Holidays and topics to cover this month:
- Dia de los Muertos
- Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Veterans Day
- Election Day
Reading Activities for Thanksgiving
- First on my list of November activities is my Thanksgiving fictional stories. They include five fictional stories with two follow-up activities for comprehension. The reading passages are 2nd and 3rd grade reading level.
- Looking for a quick Thanksgiving reading activity that covers reading and writing? This Thanksgiving craft flip book teaches all about Thanksgiving while kids practice their nonfiction reading and writing skills.
- These November and Thanksgiving themed phonics centers bring you 12 different Science of Reading activities to help students with their phonics and phonemic awareness. The 12 Fall November centers range from letters to rhyming to decoding words.
- Teaching November themes, like Thanksgiving, while using fiction and nonfiction paired passages activities can keep students engaged throughout the month. This November reading set comes with 5 paired fiction and nonfiction sets, which totals 10 passages.
Thanksgiving Writing Activities
- Are you looking to make your fall narrative writing prompts fun? This writing product is a fun interactive activity that involves fall prompts, real photographs, and graphic organizers.
- The November writing prompts are made for students to use in their journals for daily writing practice. They can practice their creative writing with different seasonal writing topics for the month of November.
Standards-Based Common Core November Activities
- Want to cover your Common Core standards while teaching November activities? Each Thanksgiving activity pack is filled with ELA activities for students, such as reading, writing, language and grammar, and more. There are themed activities for each of the six Common Core Standards domains. Your students will practice their ELA standards while incorporating the Thanksgiving theme as well. This will take some of the stress off of your plate by providing you with standards-based and Common Core-aligned seasonal activities!
November Activities Math & ELA Review
- These Thanksgiving coloring pages are perfect crafts to use during the month of November. Each worksheet comes with either color by number or color by sight word activities. They are perfect for quick time-filling activities, early finisher activities, or reward activities.
- Are you looking for math and literacy worksheets to use during November that cover Thanksgiving, Veterans Day, and Election Day? These reading, writing, math, and language worksheets are perfect for a busy teacher. In this packet, you’ll find 50+ worksheets for quick and easy review or teaching activities. These skills cover 1st and 2nd-grade student skills.
Other November Activities Holidays to Include
- Looking for activities to use to teach Veterans Day and Election Day without interrupting your ELA activities time? This reading and writing art craft flip book teaches the meaning of the holidays while kids practice their skills.
- Are you looking for a Dia de los Muertos activity that ties in reading, writing, and a craft? This flip book covers the holiday, reading skills, and even has a craft topper for decorations. This is perfect for learning about the traditions of Dia de los Muertos while having interactive fun, practicing reading comprehension, and themed writing.
- This culturally diverse holidays around the world pack includes informational passages about national holidays and holidays around the world. There is a Diwali reading activity set for you within the full year unit. It includes comprehension questions, fact writing, and fold and snip books.
Thanksgiving Classroom Celebration!
Want to download this free Bingo game, plus two freebies to help plan your Thanksgiving classroom celebration?
Want to read more Thanksgiving themed blog posts? Check these out: