This RL.3.9 Compare and Contrast Fiction Stories unit is packed full of standards-based lesson plans, professionally Lexiled passages, and activities to use while you are teaching the standard RL.3.9. If you are not teaching Common Core, then the unit is still valuable to use when teachings students how to compare and contrast fictional texts, specifically comparing plots, settings, and themes from stories by the same author.
*There is now a digital component included in this resource. The passages and graphic organizers are now created in Google Slides. You can get access to the digital versions on page 5 of the PDF. (The lesson plans, small group activities, and assessments are not digitally converted at this time.)*
Please check out the preview to see ALL that you’re getting in this Compare and Contrast RL.3.9 pack!
In the pack you will receive:
- 3 Mini Lessons
- 12 Graphic Organizers
- 10 (5 sets) Lexile leveled Passages (levels listed below)
- 7 Interactive Pieces (for notebook or plain paper)
- 12 Task Cards to use with any text
- 1 Summative Assessment (with answer key)
- Answer Keys for certain lesson plan activities, all passages, and assessment
The reading passages and assessments are now professionally leveled by Lexile.
- Kyle’s New House (800L) and The Promotion (770L)
- The Ant and the Grasshopper (600L) and Cardinal and Robin (630L)
- Grand Town is in Danger (790L) and A Classroom Fight (730L)
- The Boy Who Cried ‘Ow!’ (640L) and The Cat Who Cried ‘Mouse!’ (620L)
- The Turtle and the Rabbit (610L) and The Sloth and the Toucan (630L)
- Assessment Reading #1- 620L
- Assessment Reading #2- 650L
Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (e.g., in books from a series)
If you’re interested in using only the digital versions of the passages and graphic organizers, you can buy the 3rd Grade Digital bundle here. This only comes with digital versions of the passages and graphic organizers.
There are similar activities in the 2nd grade version of this pack (RL2.9), but the text levels and questions in this packet are much more in depth and higher skill.
SAVE BIG! Buy this pack in 2 possible bundles.
Click here for the READING bundle.
Click here for the ELA ALL-YEAR curriculum bundle.
This purchase is for one single classroom only.
If you’re interested in sharing with other classrooms, make sure to buy the extra licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at jessica.L.firstname.lastname@example.org.