This RI.3.9 Compare and Contrast Nonfiction unit is packed full of standards-based lesson plans, professionally Lexiled passages, and activities to use while you are teaching the standard RI.3.9. If you are not teaching Common Core, then the unit is still valuable to use when teaching 3rd grade students to find similarities and differences between two informational texts on the same topic.
*There is now a digital component included in this resource. The passages and graphic organizers are now created in Google Slides. You can get access to the digital versions on page 5 of the PDF. (The lesson plans, small group activities, and assessments are not digitally converted at this time.)*
Please check out the preview to see ALL the ‘Compare and Contrast Informational Texts’ resources that you’re getting!
In the pack you will receive:
- 3 Mini Lessons
- 8 Graphic Organizers
- 10 (5 sets) Lexile leveled Passages (levels listed below)
- 6 Interactive Pieces (for notebook or plain paper)
- 12 Task Cards for any text
- 1 Summative Assessment (with answer key)
- Answer Keys for certain lesson plan activities, all passages, and assessment
The reading passages and assessments are now professionally leveled by Lexile.
- Recipe: Beef Tacos (610L) and Recipe: Chicken Quesadillas (610L)
- The Appalachian Trail (780L) and The Continental Divide (780L)
- Life on the Titanic (790L) and The Night the Titanic Sank (790L)
- How Video Games Help (850L) and How Video Games Hurt (850L)
- A Friendly Ocean Animal (750L) and A Fierce Ocean Animal (770L)
- Cold Cimate Penguins (630L) and Warm Climate Penguins (700L)
- Assessment Reading #1- Nocturnal Flying Bird- 760L
- Assessment Reading #2- Nocturnal Flying Mammal- 780L
Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.
If you’re interested in using only the digital versions of the passages and graphic organizers, you can buy the 3rd Grade Digital bundle here. This only comes with digital versions of the passages and graphic organizers.
*Update– A few lessons have been updated and changed, so that there are more differences between the 2nd and 3rd grade sets. There are similarities between the 2nd and 3rd grade units, but the lesson plans are now updated with different topics.*
SAVE BIG! Buy this pack in 2 possible bundles.
Click here for the READING bundle.
Click here for the ELA ALL-YEAR curriculum bundle.
This purchase is for one single classroom only.
If you’re interested in sharing with other classrooms, make sure to buy the extra licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at jessica.L.email@example.com.