Every year, I suggest the ballon pop activity. This balloon pop activity is a way to keep students engaged through the last few days. It’s also a way to keep behavior on track. As a result of your daily balloon pop, students are more incentivized to keep behavior on track. However… we’re in the middle of a strange time in education. Students are learning at-home. Teachers are teaching over Zoom and Google Classroom. And you’re not going to see your kiddos for the last few weeks of school. So I’ve reworked my balloon pop to now include a virtual element! Students and teachers can get together over Zoom calls for the last few days of the year to celebrate the End of the Year virtual balloon pop! Stick around for the FREEBIE included below.
End of the Year Balloon Pop Traditional Set-Up Versus Virtual Set-Up
In the picture above is how I have always suggested setting up your balloon pop. Blown-up balloons displayed for students to see that will help them stay on track. At the end of the day, the teacher would pop a balloon for the following day IF the students earned their reward. These were always free or cheap ideas that won’t break the bank.
However, that’s all going to change this year… Here are a few suggestions on how to *choose* the rewards for the next day.
- Suggestion 1: Stick with the BALLOON pop! Put your new virtual version of cards into the balloons. Each day, you’ll record a video of yourself popping the balloon for the next day’s reward.
- Suggestion 2: Let the students pick what they want to do. Display all the rewards out for the students to see and randomly select a student to choose the next day’s activities.
- Suggestion 3: Number the cards for your students to see on a whiteboard or tack board. Use a digital number randomizer. Screen share the randomizer so the students can see which reward gets chosen.
Hosting Your Balloon Pop Rewards
Use whichever screen sharing and video call app your students are familiar with. The activities range from one fun activity to an all-day outfit. Depending on what you choose, you will plan accordingly. There is a breakdown of each of the virtual rewards below. But I suggest doing a video calling app so your students can see you and each other. Right now, they’re needing social skills more than ever since they’re missing out on their at-school days.
- Google Meet
Let’s look at the NEW virtual balloon pop activities…
- Virtual Pajama Day
- Crazy Hair Day
- Help Your Teacher Bake- This would be so much fun to do a mini tutorial for your students. Let them help you, too! Ask them for step-by-step instructions on baking cookies or making a cake. You can be your own YouTube star for the day.
- Zoom Dance Party
- Draw that Animal Game- I think this would be super fun with your students! Students will gather up 3-4 pieces of paper. You will yell out an animal. Then, the students will have 20-30 seconds to try to draw that animal on their paper. They have to hold up their drawing before the timer runs out.
- Charades with Your Teacher
- Yoga with Your Teacher- There are lots of YouTube videos for kids yoga that you could guide them through. You could even try to yoga videos on GoNoodle to screen share and participate with yours students.
- Scavenger Hunt in Your House- Another fun activity where teacher will yell out a household item and students will *quickly walk* through their house to try to find that item. You can keep score if you’d like or just simply get your kiddos moving and having fun with friends.
- Sing-Along on Zoom
- Simon Says Game
- Show and Tell Day
- Directed Drawings Day- Either guide your students through a fun directed drawing of their favorite book character, animal, or any other image you choose. OR you can find many kid-friendly directed drawing videos on YouTube.
FREE End of the Year Balloon Pop here!
Get this End of the Year Balloon Pop freebie will be sent directly to your inbox.
Sign up for this freebie here. This is an email sign-up freebie. Once you sign up for the virtual balloon pop activity, you’ll be sent the freebie straight to your inbox! Then, each Wednesday, you’ll receive more tips, freebies, and updates!